Meeting House Hill Cemetery AKA Old Burying Ground, Searles Ceme, Methuen, Essex, Massachusetts, USA


Tree:  

OpenStreetMap

Latitude: 42.72500, Longitude: -71.16580
Meeting House Hill Cemetery AKA Old Burying Ground, Searles Ceme

Notes:
Berkeley Street
Methuen
Essex County
Massachusetts USA
Postal Code: 01844
Phone: 978-983-8545

THIS CEMETERY IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC.

This cemetery is also called Daddy Frye's Hill Cemetery. It was founded in 1728. The cemetery is more commonly known as Meeting House Hill, because on this site, the first Meeting House of Methuen was built here in 1728. The Second Meeting House was built in 1798. This building was removed in 1832. It was eventually replaced by the present stone church in 1855, which retains some of the timbers from the 1796 structure. Afterward the hill became more commonly known as Daddy Frye's Hill, for Jeremiah Frye, who kept a large tavern on the northwest corner of the intersection of East and Brook Streets.

The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places January 20, 1984.

This cemetery is referred to as GR1 Old Burying Ground, on Meeting House Hill in the "Vital Records of Methuen Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849."

The Searles Mausoleum is on the cemetery grounds.



Headstones

 Thumb Description Status Location Name (Died/Buried)
Ebenezer Carleton footstone
Ebenezer Carleton footstone
 
Located  Latitude: 42.72500, Longitude: -71.16580  CARLETON Ebenezer (d. 7 Apr 1761)
 
Ebenezer Carleton gravestone
Ebenezer Carleton gravestone
 
Located  Latitude: 42.72500, Longitude: -71.16580  CARLETON Ebenezer (d. 7 Apr 1761)