Rumney Marsh Burying Ground, Revere, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA


Tree:  

OpenStreetMap

Latitude: 42.40770, Longitude: -71.00582
Rumney Marsh Burying Ground

Notes:
This land first belonged to Samuel Cole and was known as Cole Farm. In 1654 the land was sold to William Hasey. Members of the Hasey family are buried on this site. The family sold its interest in the land to Joshua Cheever Esq. in 1740.

By agreement between the town and Joshua Cheever, dated March 7, 1743, the town voted to accept this land for a Burying Place. Joshua Cheevers will permanently deeded this site to the town for a Burial Ground on December 8, 1751.

The first recorded burial on this site occurred on February 6, 1693 with the interment of Mary Smith, wife of John Smith an early tenant farmer of Winnisimmet.

This burial ground was placed on the National Register of Historical Places February 2004.


Headstones

 Thumb Description Status Location Name (Died/Buried)
Ensign John Center gravestone
Ensign John Center gravestone
HERE LYES ye BODY
OF ENSIGN JOHN
CENTER AGED 46
YEARS & 8 MO.
WHO DEPARTED THIS
LIFE DECEMBR ye 31ST
1706
THE STRONGEST MAN ALIVE
IN TIME MUST YEILD HIS BREATH;
ITS GREATEST WISDOM IN YE WORLD
FOR TO PREPARE FOR DEATH. 
Located  Latitude: 42.40770, Longitude: -71.00582  Ensign CENTER John (d. 31 Dec 1706)